Green Energy Training Services
Green Energy Training Services (GETS) is a pre-apprenticeship training program that prepares adults for careers in construction, energy efficiency, and the solar industry. GETS also offers additional training classes for industry professionals looking to develop their skills.
Note: This page contains in-depth details of the GETS program. If you are interested in applying for GETS, click here. For more information about a career in building performance or energy efficiency, click here.
During GETS, participants learn in classroom, lab and field settings. By the end of training, participants will:
- Understand the importance improving energy efficiency and reducing carbon emissions
- Understand job‐site safety practices and earn their OSHA 10 and CPR/First Aid certifications
- Be familiar with the tools of the construction trades, and know how to use them
- Learn basic construction skills, including carpentry, electrical, and plumbing
- Gain hands‐on experience with home performance diagnostic tools including the blower door, IR Camera, and manometer
- Practice skills in the field by volunteering on a construction job site and completing building performance assessments of real homes
- Improve technical math skills
- Learn to install measures that save energy, including insulation, weather stripping, and air sealing
- Be prepared to enter a union apprenticeship program
Graduates are prepared to enter the following green jobs:
- Entry‐level Air Sealer and Insulation Installer
- Entry‐level Energy Auditor
- Apprentice with the Building Trades unions
- Green Construction Worker
- Weatherization specialist
- Entry‐level HVAC repair and installer
GETS Curriculum Overview
GETS includes two main curriculum components: GETS Core and MC3.
The GETS Core Curriculum was developed by Rising Sun to teach the skills that employers are looking for. During more than 160 hours of training, participants learn hands-on soft skills that prepare them to succeed at work. GETS Core covers the following topics:
- Basic construction skills
- Residential energy efficiency
- Job readiness and life skills
The Multi-Craft Core Curriculum (MC3) is a nationally-recognized pre-apprenticeship curriculum developed by the National Building and Construction Trades Council. Completion of the 120-hour MC3 certification prepares individuals for entry into building trades apprenticeships. MC3 covers the following topics:
- Orientation to unions and construction careers
- Labor union history
- Applied math
- Blueprint reading
- Construction industry awareness
- Tools and materials of the construction trade
- OSHA 10 and First Aid/CPR Certification
Rising Sun's commitment to its students does not end when the course is completed. In addition to training, we provide case management and ongoing job placement assistance to GETS participants. We also host monthly alumni meetings, which allow our participants the opportunity to reconnect and to continue developing their job search and employment readiness skills.
Employers as stakeholders in GETS
To assist with job placement and to align the GETS curriculum with industry needs, Rising Sun has created the GETS Employer Council. The GETS Employer Council is composed of representatives from home performance and solar companies, general contractors, and building trades unions. Participation in the GETS Employer Council empowers employers to shape the GETS curriculum, to network, and to learn from each other about industry trends. Feedback from employers ensures that GETS graduates have the necessary skills to meet the professional standards of today's industry.
Earn your BPI Building Analyst Certification
Through Rising Sun Energy Center
Rising Sun Energy Center is an approved BPI Testing Center. We offer BPI Exam Prep Classes as well as BPI testing services.
Sign up for an upcoming course to
earn your BPI Building Analyst certification.
Through our Green Energy Training Services (GETS) program, we offer a comprehensive training curriculum that makes residential Building Performance theory, concepts, and auditing and retrofitting techniques easy to learn and understand. Our experienced instructor provides quality classroom and hands-on training, and offers individualized attention and support to each student as preparation for the BPI written and field exams. This course is offered to GETS graduates, and to anyone with experience working in construction, Building Performance, HVAC, or related fields. For more information, click here.
Course Schedule: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:00-8:00pm
Course Location: 2998 San Pablo Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94702
Course Fee: $1700
Participants are expected to attend all class days. Saturday classes will take place in field locations to be determined. Course participants are expected to assist with identification of test houses. Course fee includes use of all required tools and equipment, books, and testing fees.
To inquire about upcoming course dates or to register for BPI testing contact Elena Foshay, GETS Program Director at
Rising Sun Energy Center is interested in expanding the reach of the GETS program. Existing organizations can either partner with Rising Sun to implement a GETS training course or license the GETS curriculum and implement it on their own. To learn more about licensing GETS, click here.
Interested in learning more? Contact Elena Foshay, Director of Adult Programs, at (510) 665-1501 x201 or by email.
GETS Participants enhancing their construction knowledge.
A GETS trainee working in the RichmondBUILD training space.