Green Bridge Academy
Rising Sun’s Green Bridge Academy (re)engages low-income young adults (ages 18-24) in higher education and inspires interest in green careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM). This semester-long bridge program combines classroom and fieldwork experience, as well as providing individualized case management services.
Green Bridge participants spend each morning taking academic and life skills classes at Berkeley City College, and then work as paid Energy Specialists in Rising Sun’s California Youth Energy Services (CYES) program in the afternoon. Over the course of the semester, Green Bridge staff work with each participant to develop an individual plan to help them reach their educational and career goals.
2012 Program Dates: Wednesday, September 5 to Friday, December 14
Basic eligibility requirements:
- East Bay resident
- Between 18 to 24 year old
- High school diploma or GED
- Berkeley City College assessment score at ‘Basic Skills’ level
- Eligible for financial aid
- Strong Interest in pursuing a college degree or certificate
- Motivation to succeed in school and work
- For paid employment the following is preferred but not required for all participants: Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record, use of vehicle with valid insurance
- Sign up and complete Berkeley City College orientation and assessment. To sign up, please stop by the BCC assessment office (Room 121, 2050 Center Street), or call (510) 981-2804.
- Complete and submit a Green Bridge Academy application by August 17, 2012
- Meet with Rising Sun staff for individual interview – bring BCC assessment results
- Participate in a group interview
- Receive invitation to the program and complete Berkeley City College enrollment and FAFSA